Subject: [Leica] A day with Koudelka
From: "Gerry Walden" <photos@gerrywalden.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:23:06 -0000

- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BE274B.BD4811C0

What a great day we had on Saturday! I picked up on a notice on one of =
the Bulletin Boards (thanks Keith Morris) a couple weeks ago stating =
that Joseph Koudelka had 4 exhibitions opening in Cardiff, Wales on the =
same day. Following further information from Keith and making more =
enquiries I managed to get Private View invitations so, joined by =
Richard Bram (M3 over his shoulder) from London, my wife and I made the =
trip to Cardiff.

There was a bus laid on to take people from show to show =96 and what =
some shows! In the party, and very chatty, was Ian Berry (Magnum, =
vice-president) who I had met before and famed for his work in =
Sharpeville at the massacre. He was complaining gently about the lack of =
"meaningful" work in the documentary field. He was busy with corporate =
work, but wanted to get his teeth into something worthwhile in the =
photo-journalistic sense. He was accompanied by Bryn Cambell (renowned =
b&w landscapes - "he=92s Welsh and still got bloody lost" complained =
Berry) and the ex-head of the Magnum London office.   Ian was working =
with a M6 to photograph Koudelka talking to people etc.

We started with Koudelkas early theatre work in Prague =96 all soot and =
whitewash and very 60=92s. Great stuff but maybe a bit dated by =
today=92s standards. Large prints though and superbly made and framed. =
Just as we were leaving the man himself rushed in with a small bottle in =
a carrier =96 "It=92s not vodka" he reassured us "It=92s stain to touch =
up the frames!" Koudelka stayed with us for the rest of the tour, and I =
was able to spend some considerable time chatting to him. What a great =
guy!

We then moved to a second gallery to view contacts from his work on =
"landscapes" in South Wales. I will call them landscapes but they show =
the industrial land as it really is! The contacts are exquisite =
individually framed prints from the negatives made on a Fuji617 (6 x =
17cm panoramic camera). They are framed in white on white gallery walls =
to form a frieze around the length of the gallery. Koudelka was =
commissioned to do this body of work following his "Black Triangle" work =
in Czechoslovakia (as it was then =96 now Slovakia). There was a =
personal surprise for me at this point =96 I asked Joseph to sign the =
34-metre long concertina=92d book of "Black Triangle" that I purchased =
at the original show in Prague for =A312 ($20). "You know this is =
selling in New York for $550 unsigned now, don=92t you?" he asked.

The third gallery was showing his collection of images "Exiles" which =
were my kind of image! A mixed bag of wonderful images from various =
places of people and their situations. The man complaining to his horse =
that he (the horse) hadn=92t made enough effort to get sold at the horse =
fair whilst the horse stands head bowed etc. etc. Just beautiful, and =
wonderfully seen!

Back to the National Museum of Wales for the official reception and to =
view the South Wales project that we had seen the contacts from earlier =
in the day. Large (like 40" x 30" or there abouts) prints again =
beautifully executed.

What a day! I can sum it up by saying I met a wonderful man who I would =
love to have dinner with next time I am in Paris or Prague (he spends =
his time between the two cities where he has homes in both.) I want him =
to bequeath me his eyes when he dies (heaven forbid!) and tell me who =
does his printing for him.   A number of Leicas in evidence - and good =
to see that Magnum still seems to favour them!

- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BE274B.BD4811C0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>
<P>What a great day we had on Saturday! I picked up on a notice on one =
of the=20
Bulletin Boards (thanks Keith Morris) a couple weeks ago stating that =
Joseph=20
Koudelka had 4 exhibitions opening in Cardiff, Wales on the same day. =
Following=20
further information from Keith and making more enquiries I managed to =
get=20
Private View invitations so, joined by Richard Bram (M3 over his =
shoulder) from=20
London, my wife and I made the trip to Cardiff.</P>
<P>There was a bus laid on to take people from show to show &ndash; and =
what=20
some shows! In the party, and very chatty, was Ian Berry (Magnum,=20
vice-president) who I had met before and famed for his work in =
Sharpeville at=20
the massacre. He was complaining gently about the lack of =
&quot;meaningful&quot;=20
work in the documentary field. He was busy with corporate work, but =
wanted to=20
get his teeth into something worthwhile in the photo-journalistic sense. =
He was=20
accompanied by Bryn Cambell (renowned b&amp;w landscapes - =
&quot;he&rsquo;s=20
Welsh and still got bloody lost&quot; complained Berry) and the ex-head =
of the=20
Magnum London office.&nbsp;&nbsp; Ian was working with a M6 to =
photograph=20
Koudelka talking to people etc.</P>
<P>We started with Koudelkas early theatre work in Prague &ndash; all =
soot and=20
whitewash and very 60&rsquo;s. Great stuff but maybe a bit dated by=20
today&rsquo;s standards. Large prints though and superbly made and =
framed. Just=20
as we were leaving the man himself rushed in with a small bottle in a =
carrier=20
&ndash; &quot;It&rsquo;s not vodka&quot; he reassured us =
&quot;It&rsquo;s stain=20
to touch up the frames!&quot; Koudelka stayed with us for the rest of =
the tour,=20
and I was able to spend some considerable time chatting to him. What a =
great=20
guy!</P>
<P>We then moved to a second gallery to view contacts from his work on=20
&quot;landscapes&quot; in South Wales. I will call them landscapes but =
they show=20
the industrial land as it really is! The contacts are exquisite =
individually=20
framed prints from the negatives made on a Fuji617 (6 x 17cm panoramic =
camera).=20
They are framed in white on white gallery walls to form a frieze around =
the=20
length of the gallery. Koudelka was commissioned to do this body of work =

following his &quot;Black Triangle&quot; work in Czechoslovakia (as it =
was then=20
&ndash; now Slovakia). There was a personal surprise for me at this =
point=20
&ndash; I asked Joseph to sign the 34-metre long concertina&rsquo;d book =
of=20
&quot;Black Triangle&quot; that I purchased at the original show in =
Prague for=20
&pound;12 ($20). &quot;You know this is selling in New York for $550 =
unsigned=20
now, don&rsquo;t you?&quot; he asked.</P>
<P>The third gallery was showing his collection of images =
&quot;Exiles&quot;=20
which were my kind of image! A mixed bag of wonderful images from =
various places=20
of people and their situations. The man complaining to his horse that he =
(the=20
horse) hadn&rsquo;t made enough effort to get sold at the horse fair =
whilst the=20
horse stands head bowed etc. etc. Just beautiful, and wonderfully =
seen!</P>
<P>Back to the National Museum of Wales for the official reception and =
to view=20
the South Wales project that we had seen the contacts from earlier in =
the day.=20
Large (like 40&quot; x 30&quot; or there abouts) prints again =
beautifully=20
executed.</P>
<P>What a day! I can sum it up by saying I met a wonderful man who I =
would love=20
to have dinner with next time I am in Paris or Prague (he spends his =
time=20
between the two cities where he has homes in both.) I want him to =
bequeath me=20
his eyes when he dies (heaven forbid!) and tell me who does his printing =
for=20
him.&nbsp;&nbsp; A number of Leicas in evidence - and good to see that =
Magnum=20
still seems to favour them!</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BE274B.BD4811C0--