Subject: Re: [Leica] lens coatings (was Kinoptik lenses)
From: "Raimo Korhonen" <raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:58:06 +0100

I do not want to argue with you. But I still think that Leica is moving/has
moved towards multicoating. I agree that even in a multicoated lens all
elements are not coated the same. The patents were held by Pentax and in
their early brochures they too stated that "most" of the lens surfaces were
multicoated but now they do claim that "all" surfaces are multicoated. I
think that cost was the deciding factor. In the Leica brochures in my
possession there is no mention of coatings whatsoever so I´m inclined to
think of "sour grapes". And IMHO Leica coatings have improved. My 90mm
Tele-Elmarit from about 1978 was quite flarey but my 90mm Summicron from
1984 is not prone to flare at all - and this flare was the reason why I
changed these lenses. So I have some experience in this matter. And - yeah
- - I have a substantial inventory of Pentax gear, the lenses I own are quite
sharp but not up to Leica standards - but quite immune to flare.
Raimo
photos at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen
nyt myös Kameralehden juttuja suomeksi
> From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: Re: [Leica] RE:  Re: KINOPTIC lenses
> Date: 15. joulukuuta 1998 0:38
>
> >You say this light does not scatter. What does
> >it do? How does it improve optical performance?
>
> Leica has said that to multicoat every element can degrade image quality.
> That some times the formula calls for single layers on some elements.
Erwin