Subject: Re: [Leica] Minolta Dimage film scanner
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 08:32:18 +0100

Fernando,

If you buy a scanner to provide yourself with the ability to print, even
on consumer grade inkjet printers, you will have to invest the
equivalent of a 21mm f2.8 asph on the scanner side  :-(

The cheaper scanners show a constant inability to properly scan dark
areas of a slide or to properly scan slightly underexposed slides. Which
in turn will provide you with low quality files that will not give good
prints. Those low-end scanners will be OK for average quality Web
publishing or acceptable inkjet prints of evenly lit slides/negs.

The current scanner recommendations are usually the top model of the
Polaroid Sprintscan 35 range (do not have the ref at hand) and the Nikon
Coolscan LS-2000. My experience is with the Sprintscan at work and the
CanoScan 2700F at home. The Polaroid is MUCH better. Judging on specs,
the Minolta Dimage should be in the same (low and frustrating) league as
the Canon.

I would conclude by stating that if you have gone the Leica way to get
top notch optical quality, you will have to invest in proper
scanning/printing gear and software to do justice to your lens
investment...

A good traditional commercial lab is still the way to go for good colour
prints. And a top quality home b/w lab is much less expensive than the
consumer digital chain.

Alan.