Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Leica glass
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 08:19:07 -0600

>Nothing in thoses sources
>ever stipulates that the glass supplied to Leica by makers such as
>Schott and others (Hoya's name usually pops up here) is glass made to
>order for Leica alone

I think Jim is right on this point. I have seen in Leica's literature that
they have certain glass formula that they have patented. I suspect that's
what they used to make themselves, but now farm out. For example, the glass
known as Noctilux glass, which is used in many lenses and the 1.4 Apo
converter, is something they would never share with others. If they don't
make it in their research melting facility, they have to have it made to
order.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Common sense is those prejudices laid down by age 18.

Albert Einstein