Subject: Re: [Leica] Luggers are dangerous
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 16:43:34 +0100

Hi Ted,

The weight is not a problem, in fact the M6 feels nicely balanced with the
Noctilux. I have it sitting on my desk at the office right now, it looks good,
slightly menacing with that big piece of glass pointing at me...

As for the other 50mm, I would prefer also to get rid of it, but I am just a
bit concerned about whether it is good enough at daylight situations, say f8 at
1/250. For instance, in Erwin's excellent article in Photo Techniques Sept/Oct
98, he writes: "Can the Noctilux-M, given its optical potential, be used a
universal standard lens, giving unparalleled 'available darkness' performance
yet also doubling as a replacement for the Summicron-M? My answer would be no."
Although at the end of the article, he states, "The Noctilux-M is a superb lens
with a fascinating full aperture performance, and a very competent performance
at smaller apertures."

I guess I will just have to shoot some film and see for myself.

Nathan

Ted Grant wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> Once you have a Noctilux attached and get over the weight you are "hooked".
> Big time. Save time, just get rid of the other 50mm as all you'll do is
> create a major headache of comparing roll after roll from each.
>
> Just live dangerously, sell off the other, get more film and get out there
> and do magic with the Noctilux. :)
>
> ted
>
> Ted Grant
> This is Our Work. The Legacy of Sir William Osler.
> http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium