Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Leica glass
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 01:22:09 EST

Leitz (Leica) used to make the Noctilux glass in small quantities in their
Glass Research Lab in Wetzlar.  This lab was sold to Corning France several
years ago.  I don't think Leica has made much of their own glass for many
years.  Schott has been a primary supplier for many years, as well as Hoya and
others.  This is typical of the optical industry.  The glass is supplied in
many forms, such as blanks (sort of like a glass hockey puck) or in cylinders
which are then sawn up and ground and finished by Leica.  I was last in the
Leica factory in September at Photokina time, and they are now using CNC
machines to grind the individual lenses.  They are also still doing their own
coating of the lens surfaces. Then on to assembly.  If any of the LUG members
are ever in the vicinity of Solms, try and take a factory tour.  It is most
interesting.  I believe they run a regular tour on Tuesdays.

Bill Rosauer