Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: [NO Leica]APO R 180/2.0
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:17:34 -0500

Steve,

Mine doesn't have the ROM set. Since I don't use flash with it, the ROM
is of no use to me at present. The lens should work fine on an R4s.

I should note that after I'd had the lens for a while, I used the
flashlight-in-the-dark test, shining the flashlight up into the lens
from the lens mount forward. To my horror (this test is always
horrible), there were hand-made polishing marks, similar to what you see
on a car after paste waxing but before the chamois, on one of the middle
elements! Leica NJ said that as I may have done this (when I
disassembled the lens to clean it -- yeah, right) and that it would be a
normal service/cleaning matter. They did provide a loaner, but the lens
had to go back to Solms for cleaning, which took three months. It's
pristine, now. I"m $130 poorer. Cheap, eh?

An odd story, but I thought interesting.

David W. Almy
Annapolis