Subject: Re: [Leica] New Home Page
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 08:09:21 -0600

>That is, is the sharpening done at scan time somewhere in the Nikon scanner
>driver
>or later in Photoshop? I don't know how to do it. Thanks for your help.

In Photoshop use unsharp mask. Not sharpening. It sounds strange, but it's
got what you need. It depends on how big your image file is on the amounts
you use.

"Amount" at about 100-300 - bigger files use a bigger number.
"Radius" at 1.0 for normal pictures. Higher to increase impression of
sharpness, but it falls apart really quickly. Grainy pictures, use 0.8.
"Threshold" at 0 for fine-grained images, and increase it to minimize grain
- - to a reasonable amount. Too much will soften the image and work against
the first two settings.

You have to play with the amounts and see what works for you. Sometimes
with high grain, a hit of despeckle before unsharp mask will help to
minimize grain effects.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

You're only young once; you can be immature f'ever