Subject: Re: [Leica] Lesson on Bokeh
From: "dan states" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:57:09 PST

This was something that a friend and I had been talking about recently.
If you notice the composition of some of the most popular impresionists
you find a lot of extreme wide angle prespectives.  Take a look at
Renoir or even VanGogh as mentioned and you see dramatic foreground and
quickly diminishing background in many works.  Could it be that this is
just something that naturally pleases the human eye? It is as if these
painters were looking through a 21MM lens.  Certainly this same "wide
angle" perspective is much more prevalent in photography today than it
was just 25-30 years ago.  Check out a National Geographic from then and
now to really see a difference.  This improved use of wide angle
technique actually mirrors the changes in classic painting.  Look at the
great works of the 17th century or earlier and you many times see a
"compressed" look, reminicent of what a telephoto lens does in
photography.

>From leica-users-admin@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us Thu Dec 17 15:01:23 1998
>Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:23:16 -0800
>To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Lesson on Bokeh
>Sender: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>
>Isaac Crawford wrote
>
>>I just went to the Van Gogh exhibit in Washington DC and got a real
lesson
>>in bokeh... Most of his stuff showed that you don't necessarily need
>>super-razor-sharp images to get the idea. Of course, in his case he
did it
>>rather well...
>>
>>Anyway, just thought I'd pass on the advice to not only check out
other
>>photographers, but painters as well... it can be a real eye
opener!>>>>>>

>Hi Isaac,
>
>Studying the works of many old master painters is probably one of the
>greatest eye openers for a photographer to learn about many things of
use
>in photography.  Composition, the understanding of light and just plain
>"feelings" that can be applied to one's photography.
>
>They didn't have strobes, flash on brushes or any fancy hot lighting,
they
>just understood the value of existing light that they saw by and how to
>make it work most effectively in their painting. My favorite is
Rembrandt