Subject: [Leica] Re: Minolta Dimage film scanner
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@jbm.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 01:17:21 -0500

At 16 Dec 1998 08:32:18 +0100, Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com> wrote:

> The current scanner recommendations are usually the top model of the
> Polaroid Sprintscan 35 range (do not have the ref at hand) and the Nikon
> Coolscan LS-2000. My experience is with the Sprintscan at work and the
> CanoScan 2700F at home. The Polaroid is MUCH better. Judging on specs,
> the Minolta Dimage should be in the same (low and frustrating) league as
> the Canon.

From everything I've read recently (and we know how reliable *that* sort of
thing can be), there is a Minolta Dimâge scanner (but not the one the
original poster was discussing) which is of comparable quality to the Polaroid
and Nikon you mention above: the Dimâge Multi.  The downside: it's priced
appropriately (the most recent presumably-decent price I saw was around
US$2100).  The upside: it'll scan medium-format up to, I think, 6x9 as well as
smaller formats -- and for *that* it's a relative bargain.  Yrs Truly wants
one, although he's peeved that he might have to break down and set up a
computer with one of those unaesthetic-to-the-point-of-immorality commercial
non-Unix OSes on it if he wants to take the easy way out and use the enclosed
drivers and capture program and such.

    http://www.minoltausa.com/new_products/scanners/dimage_scan_multi.htm

 -Jeff Moore <jbm@jbm.org>