Subject: Re: [Leica] A Leica Question
From: "James R. Nelon" <JNelon@netvigator.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:17:01 +0800

I've got the ocular you mentioned in your posting. Don't use it much because of
how hard it is to use. You've got to have a tall tripod or a short stance to see
through it. I wish Leitz would have put an 90 degree angle at the end. Lying
down on a cold surface in winter isn't something done for a very long time.

Richard Clompus wrote:

> Dear Fellow LUGnuts,
>
> Has anyone used the Leica telescope adapter that changes your R telephoto
> lenses into small telescopes?  It would be a nice tool to take while
> traveling.
>
> I got one of my "dream" lenses today.  A new Leica 19/2.8 R lens in a sealed
> box.  My widest Leica lens yet.  It feels better on an R8 than an R 6.2
> body.  Somehow after using an R8 for 6 months, the R6.2 seems too small for
> my small hands.  Fairly amazing balance with this lens on an R8.  Only my
> wrists get tired after a while.
>
> The only problem is that the metal focusing barrel of the lens is scratched.
> Looks like someone took a file to it.  Very unusual.  I guess if there's a
> lens in a batch with some defect, I'll probably get it.  I've had pretty
> good luck up until now.  I took some test shots today with an R8 and Metz
> 40MZ-3.  Bounce flash with secondary fill seemed to work fine.  E6 film to
> be developed tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it turned out.    I can hear
> Ted saying that it's the optics that count.  I agree but it would be nice if
> the cosmetics of the lens were also first class.  (I have a lot of respect
> for Ted.  He does what I wish I could do - be a photographer and earn a
> living at the same time.)  Being an eye doctor isn't all bad.  At least I
> get to work with lenses every day.
>
> My dealer has ordered me a replacement lens.  I guess maybe I'm expecting
> too much for a lens that costs only $3000.  I know it's the optics that
> count - and that's why I bought it to use instead of my Canon breech mount
> FD20/2.8 lens.  It would just be nice to receive one that was not banged up.
>
> Happy shooting,
>
> Richard
> Richard Clompus, OD
> West Chester, PA