Subject: Re: [Leica] U.S. Press Photography
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 21:41:44 -0300

At 04:23 PM 18/12/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Is there any particular equipment used, whether Leica or not, by
>photographers for A.F.P. and Reuters that would explain their
>seemingly greater ability to capture the moment??

        The ability of Reuters and AFP (I've worked for both and still shoot
for Reuters on occasion) to dominate the wire service photography has
nothing to do with equipment.  They all use Nikon and Canon fairly
exclusively....depending on the whims of the bean counters who pay for it.

        Sports is a major part of wire service photography so the super fast
AF telephotos are a big selling point. (600/4, 400/2.8, 300/2 etc)

Leica would NEVER be bought for the staffers, but many will carry an M or
two from their personal kit.  I shoot a hybrid, Leica for 20 to 90 range and
Nikon for when I need motordrives, Matrix balanced flash or fast telephoto
glass.
I still don't use AF lenses.

        Competition among the wire services is fierce. Reuters is one of the
oldest news agencies in the world and when UPI packed it in Reuters picked
up their international photo service (UPI still produces photos in the US).
AFP is the French national news agency. They have always dominated coverage
from Africa, middle east and latin america.

 Although I have my bias' I would suggest that AFP and Reuters provide a
better service because of the scope of the coverage they offer.  They
provide that better coverage because they have an extensive network of
dedicated photographers who they rely on.

        AP, because it is a news co-operative, more often then not, rely on
the random contributions of the member papers.  There is no guarantee they
will get a picture and they certainly have no control over who will be
shooting it.

        Another thing about AP, as Eric pointed out, they treat their
stringers (freelancers) like dirt and recently imposed a really miserable
contract on them. Telling them to sign or take a hike. Most of the better
shooters walked and I would suggest that the quality of AP's service is
suffering for it.

        Reuters and AFP, on the other hand, tend build a good professional
relationship with their regulars in the region they want to cover. Pay them
decent fees, let them retain copyrights and there is mutual loyalty to some
degree.  While I don't shoot a lot for Reuters, I am there for them when
they call and I will tip them off if I find something I think they will be
interested in. Why? because the pay is OK and they have been always fair
with me.

        Some newspapers and wire services pay so little that you have to
turn them down because it just not worth your while to shoot the job. AP
would be in that category.

Naturally, Reuters and AFP are going to attract a better calibre photographer.

So, there is my little lecture on wire services.  Did I miss anything Eric, Ted?
Ted and I are ex-UPI'ers.... when it was a fun bunch to work for.... if you
didn't mind getting paid in nice film envelopes!! as another UPIer once said.

...glad to have moved on to bigger fish,

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
<http://www.straylight.ca/locke/>
"I've finally figured out what's wrong with photography.
It's a one-eyed man looking through a little 'ole.
Now, how much reality can there be in that?" -- David Hockney