Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V5 #52
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 21:48:40 +0000

B.D. Colen wrote:

>The company would do far better, and capture far more customers,
>if it would manufacture a range of rangefinder bodies, from the Ms
>to something like the CL, or like the Japanese screw mount that we
>are told is coming out shortly. If Leica did that, they would attract
>more, young, users who don't have the money to make the M plunge, but
>want to try rangefinder photography and Leica.

Damn straight, B.D.! I would have had my first Leica M in high school
instead of 15 years later. I remeber the M4-x brochure that got me all
twitterpated when I was 16. The price tag - approximately the same as
now *without* accounting for inflation - was impossible, and I bought
three Nikons and several lenses over that period. Perhaps if I'd known
better I would have bought an M2 but I wanted new gear at that time.

A major, ongoing mistake by Leica's management.
Alexey Merz | URL: http://www.webcom.com/alexey | email: alexey@webcom.com