Subject: Re: [Leica] Need Help With Rome Trip
From: "Peter C. Palmieri" <palmieri@cybernex.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 22:14:50 -0500

Hi Richard--

I have been to Roma many, many times. Firstly, let me suggest that you buy
the Eyewitness Guide to Rome. It is the very best guide book that I know of.
I can't urge you enough to buy this book which is readily available at
Barnes and Noble and other big bookstores. Even though I know Rome very well
I still use it as a reference. It has all the famous sites and, importantly,
a comprehensive description with excellent drawings and pictures of each
one. Also, the walking tours alone are worth the price of the book.
Importantly, it will give you many ideas what and where you might like to
photograph.

My first trip to Roma was in 1965 at which time I had a Nikon F with many
lenses and a Leica M2 with me. Still travel there with cameras and never
have had the slightest problem in Roma or anywhere else in Italy. I did lose
a Canon AE1 there some years ago because I forgot it hanging on a chair in
an outdoor cafe. It wasn't stolen, I just forgot about it hanging there and
remembered that I didn't have it with me many hours later. I was travelling
with my then three young sons and my wife. The boys kept me fully occupied
plus I also had a Nikon with me so the Canon was easily forgotten. I didn't
have the time to go back to the cafe to see whether it was still there. I
bet it was! By the way, I wish I still had that M2!

You will not be able to use the flash in museums. In some picture taking is
forbidden.

As I see you live near Philadelphia, Rizzoli Bookstore on Walnut Street,
will have photo books on Roma that you might browse through before you go. I
would be careful walking around Walnut St at night with two Leicas though
;-)! Be especially careful if you walk through Rittenhouse Square...

Also, get a good map of the city. If you can't find a good one, wait until
you get to Roma to buy a good one. These will be available at most kiosks or
in bookstores throughout the city. Your hotel will be able to help I am
sure. The Eyewitness guide has decent maps which are usable but a big map is
better for planning your day.

Places like the outdoor food market--Campo d'Fiore--are identified. As are
all the most famous piazze, including Piazza del Poppolo, Piazza de Spagna,
Piazza della Republica, Piazza della Rotundo, Borghese Gardens and on and
on.

I see you have been warned about the potential of being robbed in Rome. I
can assure you that Roma is a whole lot safer than many, many neighborhoods
in Philadelphia (not to mention the city across the river in NJ) and a whole
lot of other cities in the US that I can think of. The issue of crime in
Italy is way overblown. Like all big cities in the world, save for the
cities in Japan, normal vigilance and common sense are called for.

There are many very narrow streets in Rome that I wouldn't take the chance
of walking around with a whole lot of cameras around my neck. But, I
certainly wouldn't do that in any city at night. Illegal immigrants are
creating a problem, especially the gypsies who will approach you with
children in their arms appearing to be begging. Do not let them come close
to you. Still, I would like to emphasize, that you shouldn't be hung up with
worry about being robbed or accosted in Rome or in Italy. I have been to
Italy and Rome countless times and have never had an incident. I returned
from a trip to Italy just this last November.

Do not think of driving in the city. But, do think of taking a day for a
trip outside of the city.

I would be pleased to discuss your trip further, especially about
restaurants, hotels, how to get around, how to order food in restaurants
etc. Feel free to ask away--I enjoy talking about Roma and helping others to
enjoy the city and Italy. I will say that even with the lire at 1650 or so
to the US dollar, Roma is still a very expensive city. I use the cash
machines to get lire and credit cards as much as possible.

Peter in NJ