Subject: Re: [Leica] Elmar C
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:18:42 -0600 (CST)

Hello, Mark
The reason Leica can't/won't guarantee focus of CL lenses on
Ms is that the Leica RFDR is ONLY compatible with the focusing
movement of a 50mm lens......BELIEVE IT OR NOT! -- ALL other
focal lengths have to have their helical movement "converted"
to the "movement" of a 50!!!.  In the (obviously more expensive) Leica,
Canon, other LTM lenses, other than 50s, this is done with a
double helical. To simplify, One helical (steep rake for teles,
VERY shallow rake for WAs) actually "focuses" the lens, generally
in about 180 degrees of rotation (there are exceptions).  This helical
moves in unison with another helical which emulates the focusing
movement of the 50 (!).  If you notice, the movement of the
"cam" on the back of the lens always moves in or out the same
amount to go from infinity to 3' or so.  ALso, this movement is
PERFECTLY parallel to the lens mount, regardless of the lens.
On the CL lenses, only one helical is used, to match that of the
needed "movement" of the lens group....the "cam" on the back of the
lens is now ground with a "rake" or angle, to simulate the in-out
movement of a 50!  Cheaper to make, only one helical pair.  Herein lies
the "problem" -- the movement is now NOT parallel to the lens mount.

Part II - Look at the cam follower on your body.  Notice it is "nearly"
perfectly aligned with the "seal" screw on the top of the lens mount.
On M-bodies, the lateral position of this follower is actually the
often denied "near" focus adjustment!! -- now for the "concidental
compatibility" --- if, as on many (most?) bodies, the follower is
EXACTLY centered on the top of the mount, when at infinity, BINGO -
the CL lenses focus (more or less) fine!  But if your particular
RFDR required this adjustment to be offset slightly off center, to
achieve near-focus accuracy with "real" m-lenses, the CL lenses
will not focus accurately at most or all distances...BTW< the CL
RFDR does not have/need this accurate adjustment - it just wasn't
precise enough, hence the lack of super-fast lenses made SPECIFICALLY
for the CL!!  This is because of not only the lack of base-length,
but also the (relative) crudeness of the RFDR manufacture/adjustment.

AS a former CL owner as well as a (Leica/other) repairman, I can tell
you with some certainty that MOST CL lenses >CAN"T< focus perfectly
on an M-body.  Close enough for mid-far distances with slow lenses?
Sure, mostly.  Also, although the CL cam-follower location doesn't
matter on REAL M-lenses, and it certainly does fine with 2.8 short
lenses or 90s at f4 or f5.6, the CL base length plus the visual
accuracy/crudeness of manufacture/magnification is a disaster trying
to focus a 50 1.4 or 90 f2 at or near maximum aperture/close focus
limits.

Perhaps another repairman (Sherry?) can express the problem in a
simpler manner.  In the meantime, think of the CL as "nearly"
compatible with M-lenses (certainly with wideangles, where the
accuracy of an M body is an absurd excess), and keep those
90s at f4-5.6, depending on the correct adjustment of the CL and
your particular visual acutity.  Of course, lenses which are
"forbidden" on the CL, because of the metering system, should
always be avoided.

Likewise, with CL lenses on M-bodies, you really need to check
the compatibility on a case by case basis -- obviously check
infinity focus (after verifying the body with an M-lens) --
then try it at 3 feet, either with a tiny ground glass or
on film.....if you have more than one M-body, you really need to
verify this compatibility on EACH body.

For God's sake, don't even think about adjusting the body to
"work" with CL lenses....yes, it can be done, sorta....but
you'll sacrifice the accuracy of near focus with M-lenses,
particularly long/fast ones at near distances -- exactly where
you need the accuracy of a "real" M......

Aside from ruggedness/reliability issues, the CL was a NEAT
little camera......had it not been billed as a "LEICA M" !!
While I respect retaining an existing lens mount, in this case
it led to 20+ years of confusion and half truths!!  I LOVED
my two CLs -- had great service from them -- but I didn't treat
them as Ms, nor did I expect that insanely short-effective-base
RFDR to focus my 90 f2 at 3 feet!! (you couldn't see through
the damn RFDR anyway!)  Compared to most cameras, it's a well
built, finely tuned little machine....Compared to an M (or and
SP or Canon) -- Well........you know.

Hope my techno-babble explanation answered SOMEONE's questions...

Have a happy.....
Walt in Denton

On