Subject: Re: [Leica] Need Help With Rome Trip
From: Thomas Pastorello <tmp@mailbox.syr.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:57:43 -0500 (EST)

Dear Richard,
   You and your family will greatly enjoy your trip.  Peter and Andreas
have given you fine advice.  I've been to Rome four times.  It has become
a pilgrimage -- a pagan pilgrimage: The ancient sites are wondrous!
   The one place I always return to is the Campidoglio.  It is the plaza
designed by Michelangelo on the very top of Capitoline Hill -- once the
very center of the Roman Empire and Capitol of the world (hence, our term
for national and state capitols).  It's easy to find.  The Corso takes you
to the huge white marble structure dedicated to King Emanuele (which the
locals call the big wedding cake).  As you face it, walk around it to your
right.  You'll see a long staircase taking you to the top of a hill whose
entrance is guarded by the grand and ancient marble Castor and Pollux with
their steeds.  Enter the plaza and be greeted by the magnificent
equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius, the true philosopher king if there
ever was one.  The plaza is surrounded by ancient and Michelangelo
statuary.  On either side of the plaza are two of the worlds greatest
ancient art museums.  Enter and be dazzled by works you'll remember from
your college art books.  First stroll the courtyards of each museum.
Among other wonders, you'll see the 30' collosus of Emperor Constantine -
with 6' head and giant hands and feet.  When back in the plaza, don't
leave yet.  Walk around the right side of the main municipal building (the
Mayor's Office) and behold the breathtaking overview of the Roman Forum
and the Augustan palaces on Palantine Hill!
   I could go on and on about Rome.  About equipment, however, your 35/1.4
will be useful for the museums.  The great news is that by and large
photos are allowed in all main museums.  Two unfortunate exceptions are
the Sistine Chapel and the Borghese Museum, which houses the newly
restored and mezmerizing Bernini Apollo and Daphne.  Remember, however,
that you have an M-Leica, the quietest camera in the world.  I note your
widest lens is a 35.  I'd suggest something wider as well.  The plazas in
Rome are charming and small.  To get a sense of their totality a 21mm will
do nicely.
   You have no more to fear in Rome than in any other large city. Unless
it's your habit to walk alone in the dark down isolated streets with
expensive equipment hanging around your neck, your trip should be as
incident free as mine have been.  Enjoy what will be a life-long memory
and travel highlight for you and your family.
   (Feel free to e-mail me if you have specific questions.)
                          Tom P.