Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: UN-Happy-Snaps, Plus
From: "Richard E. Baznik" <reb10@po.cwru.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:54:14 -0500

As the newbie who innocently (alas, perhaps naively) triggered the "happy
snaps" thread with my question about the Tri-Elmar, let me say that I agree
with Jim's most recent clarification. Many of us who shoot the people and
things that we encounter on a daily basis look carefully for opportunities
to capture extraordinary images, although they may not match the extreme
conditions so prized by what we apparently must call the "UNhappy
snappers." And we carve out times when we can pursue the art of photography
without a thought of scrapbook pages waiting to be filled, etc.

Happy or not, I will be snapping next month in Costa Rica while on vacation
there. In addition to the requisite time on the beach and in San Jose,
we'll spend a few days each in the Monteverde Cloud Forest and the environs
of the Arenal Volcano (staying at the Observatory Lodge). Anyone with
advice on shooting conditions in these areas? I'll have a 21 S/A 3.4, the
aforementioned and controversial Tri-Elmar, a 90 T/E 2.8, and an old 135
Zeiss Jena with a bayonet adapter, using an M6 and an M3. Shooting color
neg and B&W. Suggestions of sights not to be missed?

Thanks.///REB