Subject: RE: [Leica] John's R8/F2 test
From: "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:17:51 -0500

> >The price difference between the kits is dramatic:  R8 + 80
> Summilux cost me
> >$3500;  F2 + 85 + Sekonic 308 meter  cost $1100...

John - Forget, for the moment, esthetics and culture. Instead, consider that
the R8 is a brand new camera with many thoroughly modern features, such as
multi-mode metering, high top shutter speed, reasonably high sync speed, TTL
flash metering, power winder - forget the motor drive, it's a myth - etc.
etc. The F2 is a very good 20-24-year-old basic mechanical camera. Period.
It is an anachronism. You may want an anachronism. Your F2 may be
esthetically and culturally pleasing to you, just as my F is esthetically
and culturally pleasing to me, but it really isn't fair to compare the
prices of the two outfits. Try comparing an F4 and lens with the 8, or even
an F3....at least you can buy those new and therefore begin to get a real
price comparison.

But.....Will you get just as good photos with your F2, Sekonic, and 85
Nikkor as you would with an R8 and the 80? If we're not talking bench tests,
and you really know how to handle both the camera and the light meter, I'd
be willing to bet you will. :-)