Subject: Re: [Leica] 100% Customs Duty on Leica?
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 16:31:55 -0500

Guys-
I remember years ago that I wanted a VW pickup truck because they were quite
nice and relatively inexpensive- the US dealers quit importing them when the
USDA got in a pissing contest with French chicken farmers who wanted to
limit exports of American chickens- no doubt from Tyson in Arkansas, so they
raised a tariff, then we raised a tariff... when is was over, I couldn't get
a VW pickup truck.
With my luck, just when I want to get the second new Leica lens or camera I
ever bought, the price will probably double because Armenian Garbanzo
farmers would like to get a fair price, and can't because the 'Gummint' here
subsidizes garbanzo farmers, and we have a price war+ACE-
I think it's funny that we hear that the price of European goods won't go
down because Europe has a good stock of gold... and all this time I was lead
to believe that basing your currency on gold was foolish- though until a
very few years ago it was illegal for citizens of this land of the free to
own gold+ACE-
I hope this silliness ends before it affects Leica imports+ACE- Imagine having
to buy a gray market R9 without a Passport Warranty+ACE- :)
Dan
dwpost+AEA-msn.com