Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: "standard camera"
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 10:14:37 +0100

At 13:36 23/12/98 -0800, you wrote :
>I remember looking through a British book Wildlife Photography(er?) of the
Year where tech details were listed along side the pix. Interestingly,
Leica almost non-existant and, to my eye at least, the Minolta pix seemed
to have the finest reproduction, exhibiting that
smoothness that Leica is noted for.  Which made me wonder.  I have often
noticed that Leica pix don't always reproduce well in publications, in
color, at least.  BW seems to be wonderful.  I mentioned this to a Brooks
Institute graduate who knows more about the technology of photography that
anyone I've ever met (and does consulting for Nikon, Hasselblad and
produces a line of underwater strobes).  He said, "of course," and
explained very carefully in terms only Erwin might understand why Leica
lenses were not good for color reproduction by printing press, but were
great for prints, especially BW.  Guess I'll have to have him go over the
reasoning again.  There might be some interest (and argument) on the list.

>donal
>--
>Donal Philby
>San Diego

#########
May I suggest to you Fulvio Roiter's books, especially the books on Venice
(Venezia).All the pictures in color have been made with a Leica R gear.
Your "Brooks Institute graduate who knows more about the
technology of photography that anyone I've ever met" was probably
exhausted.Wasn't he ?

Dominique Pellissier