Subject: Re: [Leica] Ground glass screens
From: n.b.watson@juno.com (Nigel B Watson)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:58:15 EST

A number of well-known nature photographers prefer the grid screen,
claiming it helps them keep horizons level and trees upright.  That's
never been a problem for me; I find that the grid lines clutter up the
frame and distract me from composition.   The only time I use one is for
copy work. (Most view-camera groundglass screens have grid lines, but
they serve more of a purpose with respect to the perspective-correction
facilities of the type.  A 10x8 or 5x4 screen is also much larger than a
35mm screen yet the etched lines are about the same thickness.)  None of
the grid screens I've seen have lines which intersect at the "Golden
Mean" points (although I don't believe I've ever seen a Leica grid
screen). You should most probably try both screens to see which you
prefer.

Regards,
Nigel

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998 07:51:56 -0700 "Greg Bicket" <GBicket@email.msn.com>
writes:

>My
>question is, with my photography being primarily a mix of wildlife and
>travel, would my needs be served best by the plain ground glass, or
>the
>ground glass with a grid?

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]