Subject: Re: [Leica] HAPPY HOLIDAYS - AND HERE'S A GIFT!!
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 14:08:06 -0700

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> Having just picked up my Christmas present - an HP Photo Scanner and Epson
> Stylus Photo printer - (Hey, when you're the sole earner and you're my age
> why not pick up the present yourself ! :-) ) - I had to give serious thought
> as to what to do about software. Obviously, the answer is Photo Shop, but
> that costs more than $600 which I don't have. BUT.....
>
> Corel PHOTO-PAINT 8, which also costs around $600 and which is Corel's
> pseudo Photo Shop - and works with all the Photo Shop plug-ins, comes as a
> $109 "upgrade." Well....guess what guys and guyettes?
>
> Yes, it is the ENTIRE PROGRAM, for $109. It doesn't ask where the earlier
> version is installed. The CD doesn't say it's an upgrade. It's got to be the
> biggest bargain in scanning/photo printing/image manipulation.
>
> Okay, it's not photo shop. And I'm sure there are a few things photo shop
> has that it doesn't. But...it has all the standard tools including dodge and
> burn. It comes with a full set of encyclopedic manuals. And it comes with a
> second CD loaded with about a million fonts, photo images, and gimmcrakies
> of one sort or another.
>
> SO...If you're giving any thought to getting into digital printing, but were
> hesitating because of the software investment on top of the scanner and
> printer - hesitate no longer!

It's my opinion that Photoshop is more important to doing digital
photography than any and all hardware and software combined. It all
starts and ends with Photoshop and its mainly Photoshop in-between.
After you've tweaked and mutated your images use your next paycheck for
a printer, have a photo CD made before you get a scanner to have images
to play with.. After Photoshop Comes Painter and Illustrator. Coral
software is a big dubious ? with the exception of WordPerfect; a word processor.