Subject: re: [Leica] R lens recommendation
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 08:18:41 -0600

I am looking to get into the R system with a short telephoto lens for
outdoor available light, PJ work.  I am leaning toward the 85/1.4 because
of the speed.  Can anyone comment on the 85mm as well as the 90/2, 90/2.8?
I would also like to add that I got into photography with Nikons and my
current body of choice is the F4s.  There has been a lot of posts on the
LUG regarding how excellent certain Nikon bodies are and I wholeheartedly
concur.  However my disatisfaction comes from the inability of Nikkor
lenses to deliver at wide open aperture.  One of my favorite lenses is the
85/1.8 AF but it is really an f/2.8 lens because at wide open it is pretty
disappointing.   And I can say the same about another half dozen other
Nikkors I use.  How do R lenses perform wide open?  I will keep my Nikons
for days when I can shoot everything at f/5.6, and plan to use R's for
those critical wide open shots.  Thanks and happy holidays.
<<<<<<<<<<

If you currently have a Nikon body, I'd recommend taking a hard look at the
85 f/1.4D Nikkor. It's terrific wide open, crisply sharp with the most
Leica/Zeiss-like bokeh I've seen in a Nikkor. Optically (but not
mechanically) better than the manual focus 85 f/1.4 Nikkor which I used to
own. The 85 and the 24 f/2 Nikkors are what keep an FM2 in my camera bag.

On the other hand, the 50 mm Nikkors -- I hate the look of photos they
deliver -- are what keep me looking at Leicas and Contax. And in general, I
agree with your evaluation that most Nikkors improve substantially when
closed down a couple stops.

Larry