Subject: Re: [Leica] winning b/w combination
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 10:13:32 -0700

Since I have problems with finding the winning b/w combination, I like
to ask you folks if you can help me any further. First I have to
indicate that I like my pictures the best when they show (almost) no
grain, secondly I like to shoot my pictures at around 100 ISO.
My questions are:
- -1 Do I really need to overexpose a film to get the best result? (e.g.
TMax 100, shot at
    64 ISO)
- -2 Which film gives the current Leica lenses the credit they deserve?
- -3 Which chemical (e.g. Xtol, Rodinal, Tmax) gives the best result with
that winning film?
- -4 Do you dilute the chemical and if so, do you also store the dilution
or only the concentration.
- -5 In what kind of thing (glas or plastic) do you store the (diluted)
chemical and for how long?
- -6 How much do I need of this (diluted) chemical for a Jobo UniTank 470
ml (2 films processed simultaniously)
- -7 What temperature do you recommend?
- -8 Is there anything else to think about?
BTW, I use multigrade IV of Ilford, a V35 and of course a M-camera :-)
Hope to get many winning suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Alexander Koning
++++++++++++
Dear Alexander,
You have asked some complex questions. I won't attempt to tackle them all,
and I feel that personal taste plays a big role in how you answer the
questions.
1. WHen I use Tmax 100 I expose it at 80.
2. Most medium speed b&w films will demonstrate the Leica qualities--if they
are handled carefully at every step of the process.
3. I follow film mfgrs. recommendations, for the most part. Tmax developer
for Tmax film, Rodinol for APX100, etc. I have found that the mfgrs.
actually know a fair bit about their products.
4. I do everything one shot.
5. see 4.
6. No idea.
7. 20 degrees C.
8. Persnal preferences. I tend to like APX 100. It is grainer than Tmax or
Delta 100, but offers great edge sharpness and acqutance, and very good
tonal gradiation. Choice depends partly on subject matter and conditions.
BTW. You don't mention paper type, but I greatly prefer fiber based paper,
although Ilford rc is quite good. But, to me, if you are going to the
trouble of making a fine print, go the whole way and do it on quality,
archival paper. It will look better, and it will still look good after rc
prints have turned ugly or fallen apart.
Merry Christmas, happy holidays,
Joe Stephenson