Subject: Re: [Leica] R lens recommendation
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 22:02:56 -0600

> A wise and
>thoughtful LUG friend informed me that the 80mm Summilux-R is the same lens
>as the 75mm.

They are NOT the same lens. They are very similar in performance. But they
are not the same lens. 75mm and 80 might, in the large scheme of things
among some manufacturers pass as the same lens "within tolerances" but in
this case, they are different. But I'm sure that Leica aimed them at the
same performance characteristics, which would explain why they are so
similar in performance.

I used mine today to shoot inside a mall at 1.4 at 1/250 second. Very nice
quality. You gotta love a lens like this.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Common sense is that layer of prejudices laid down in the mind prior to the
age of eighteen.

Albert Einstein