Subject: Re: [Leica] another R24 question
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 17:42:47 -0600

>2) The lens came with a very peculiar hood. From what I understand, this
>lens takes a series 8 (?) filter. B+W doesnt have one in stock here, and its
>a 20 day order. Is there anyway to bypass this and use another filter
>diameter as I noticed both the lens itself aswell as the hood can accept
>filters.

Don't worry about a filter. That element is so far inset with the hood
there is very little chance of problems with contact with the outside
world. Don't worry about it. It's sharper without the filter! Honest. I've
owned two of those lenses. They are very good. Even close up. And I don't
think I used a filter more than maybe two times in all the years I used
that lens.

The problem with using filters other than series 8 is that you can't use
the hood. And this very good hood does a lot to eliminate flare.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch