Subject: [Leica] Price of Tools,was SHARPNESS
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:10:21 -0300

>How to over come the "cost factor?" Well I guess they could lower the
>quality standards, that of course would be stupid as they'd loose their
>best selling point, certainly on the glass.

        Price point is the major advantage Canon has over Nikon also. They
brought out comparable performing gear at a lower price.

        ...yet some of us didn't go with Nikon because we felt the
durability factor was not present. This might be because of the "perception"
of "cheaper" construction materials.

>>If I were a  young pro, I'd never buy a Leica gear : too expensive, son.>>>>>

        Not so... With the F5 and the new lens prices what they are today, I
opted to switch more of my gear to Leica when the time for replacement came.
 In some cases, Leica products are actually cheaper then Nikon here in Canada.
An R8 is about CDN$1000.00 cheaper then an F5.

       The Nikon and Canon advantage is the motordrives and fast AF telephotos.
Essential for typical newspaper and wire photography that covers sports and
"events" news coverage.

Like everything else, choose the right tools for the job.

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
<http://www.straylight.ca/locke/>
"I've finally figured out what's wrong with photography.
It's a one-eyed man looking through a little 'ole.
Now, how much reality can there be in that?" -- David Hockney