Subject: Re: [Leica] SHARPNESS
From: sidwar@juno.com (Sidney Warner)
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 14:19:09 EST

hello. have been watching conversation on Leica list since children and
grandchildren made me gift of computer on X-mas.  have reply to this
topic.  used to own both M and R set.  R set was 2 R6.2 bodies, 24, 50
f1.4, 100 f2.8 APO, 180 f2.8 APO.  found after onset of severe arthritis
that R lenses most painful to focus, even 50.  reluctantly, traded R set
for 2 Nikon FM2n bodies, 24, 50 f1.4, 105 f2.5, 180 f2.8 ED all last
(AIS) of manual focus lenses.  was happy because Nikon lenses focus much
easier and also less turning.  was sad because expected photographs to
look inferior.  to much surprise, can not tell difference on Kodachrome
25 film.  perhaps Nikon looks slightly warmer but not objectionable.
sharpness every bit equal.  also entire set much less weight for
arthritic arms and back.  very thankful to Leica for excellent R product
which gave many beautiful photographs and then kept enough of original
value to trade camera dealer for entire Nikon set plus 1.4x and 2x, Gitzo
carbon fiber tripod and 35 f2 Aspheric for M set.  have not abandoned
nice light M system but no longer have regret from necessity to part with
R set.

wishes to all for most health in coming new year
sidney warner
On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:18:22 -0500 "Peter C. Palmieri"
<palmieri@cybernex.net> writes:

>The outstanding qualities of the M cameras and lenses to get great
>photographs are well known, but can one expect to get the same quality
>photos with the R cameras and lenses? I have an R4, which is now at
>Leica
>for various adjustments, with three lenses all of which were bought
>when I
>bought the R4. The reason I ask is because I am getting back to
>serious
>photography now that I have the time, and am considering starting
>fresh with
>a new camera outfit. I have a couple of late model autofocus Nikons
>(N90s's)
>with assorted lenses too.
>
>The picture I took with a borrowed M2 with 35mm Elmerit in 1966 of the
>Ponte
>Vecchio in Florence that hangs in my home prompts my question. I have
>never
>been able to get a picture with photo quality like that.
>
>Peter in NJ

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]