Subject: [Leica] R8 and Metz flash
From: "Greg Bicket" <GBicket@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 06:54:42 -0700

Good morning, Pascal.

I tend to think of flash as an occasionally necessary evil.  I have the Metz
MZ 40-3, not the -2, and I like it very much.  I recommend you check it out
if you plan a change.  Importantly, it functions as if it were made for the
R8.  It does have pivot capability of the big, top flash, so you can hit a
wall, or a reflector, rather than bounce only, and control the angle and
softness of the light better.  The -3 also has the small forward shooting
unit that has separate controls permitting light to be added [or reduced] in
1/3 stop increments.  It's flexible enough to use on-camera in many
situations.  Some of the LUG pro's can add info about its use with slaves; I
use it as my only flash.

It is also a powerful unit, and zooms to match the length of the lens being
used [28mm to 85mm, I think].  The ROM capability really shows itself when
using my 35-70 zoom, as the reflector in the main flash unit zooms in and
out as I zoom the lens.  It is very complicated, and sometimes I find myself
just using the auto function, with great results.  It will hold several user
programmed options as well.  [The strobe mode photos did not resolve all the
problems with my golf swing, but they helped!] I think between the computer
in the flash, and the one in the R8, the combination might be suitable for
solving the mysteries of Windows 98---without locking up!

I have fun with low light, natural light photography, and I am as
disappointed in flat, blast-night-into-day flash overkill as some of the
natural-light-only M LUGgers.  But flash can be useful, sometimes essential,
often in daylight, and one of the greatest strengths of the R8 is its use
with well controlled flash.  Where this flash-camera combination really
comes into its own is in the ability to make subtle fill-flash photographs.
These two pieces work together as if they were designed for each other.
Whether the use is to reveal technical details or simply add shape to shaded
areas, the ability to make flash -very- inconspicuous is the biggest plus,
in my opinion.  The two pieces work so well together as to permit control of
flash to the point where it is sometimes difficult to tell whether flash has
been used.  Some results are almost counterintuitive--one's eye sees detail
natural to the photograph, but one's mind realizes that that  detail would
not have been possible without added light.  Hope this helps.

Enjoy the light [natural or supplemented].

Greg