Subject: [Leica] 24 ASPH
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 11:21:14 -0800

I bought a new 24/2.8 ASPH a few days before Christmas.

On Christmas morning, I used it with Fuji 800 print film. This is basically
one of the few times that I use print film.

The morning light is bright, streaming in through a large frosted window. I
photographed my family opening Christmas gifts in this room, most of the
photographs taken directly into this light. Basically very strong
backlight. Bright enough for the M6 viewfinder to wash out.

But the resulting photographs are crisp and clear. No hint of any flare. No
blocked highlights. Completely open shadows. I am very happy with this lens
so far.

I know 800 print film is not a good test, but the lighting situation did
indeed test the lens for visible flare, since the viewfinder flared out.
The resulting prints have outstanding contrast and dynamic range. They look
like Leica photographs.

And I do not miss having an external finder! I'll use the $300-$400 to help
pay for the lens.

I got so accustomed to thinking in 24mm with my R cameras, that this lens
is a natural for me. The 21 and finder just didn't feel right.

IMHO, the 24/2.8 ASPH is a fantastic lens. Even from this limited first
test. And it looks "tack sharp."  ;-)

Jim