Subject: Re: [Leica] digitizing images for the web
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 15:35:11 -0400

Rolf:

You have a good argument.  For the $2,00 or more that a NiKon LS2000 costs,
you could get a lot of stuff put on Photo CDs.  You must remember that the
difference between the Pro-Scans and the normal Photo CD is the attention
to detail.  I initially tried consumer grade Photo CD, but they still had
dust and took a long time to get done.

For an example of why people want scanners, I just got a M4-P with 50mm
Summicron to compliment my M6 and wanted to test it. I also needed to take
some pictures of items I am going to list on Ebay. This afternoon I shot
half the roll of the RSX-100 in the M4-P, rewound the roll and loaded it in
the R8 to take the pictures of the items using a 60mm Macro.  I have now
developed that roll and when it dries I will scan the images for Ebay.
This for a grand total of two hours including shooting, developing, and
scanning plus about $3 for the film and $2 to develop it.  Quicker than
photo CD, serves the purpose and is probably cheaper than buying a digital
camera since I have a film scanner.

BTW, the M4-P works great. Now that I have both a Noctilux and a 50mm
Summicron, my mint 50mm Elmar-M collapseable is available if anybody needs
one.  It is black and comes with the box and leather case.  Make me an offer.

Regards,

Robert