Subject: [Leica] PhotoCD scan quality
From: emu@aloha.com
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 13:03:38 -1000

OK. From what I have learned here, I probably should not buy a film scanner
for my Mac because I need a quality level (e.g., Nikon L2000) that I can't
afford.

Paying somebody to put my stuff on PhotoCD sounds like the best alternative.

Question: Do most processing companies that peddle PhotoCD scanning use
high-end scanners that can deal with extreme contrast ranges? Scanning
twice for high and low contrast sounds workable, but is that anything you
can expect from the people who turn your work into PhotoCDs?

Or to put it another way: When I have a slide with extreme contrast ranges,
should I pay extra for some kind of "custom" scanning onto PhotoCD? Is such
a service routinely available?

I'm a newbie here, just getting back into Leica use after a long break.
This list is a fantastic resource and I'm really happy to have access to
it. Thanks to all of y'all and happy new year.

Ernest Murphy