Subject: Re: [Leica] Musings on the role of photography and a question about what you shoot and why
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 23:08:59 -0500

- --------------799B0CD30CC2386E46FF048C

Khoffberg wrote:
SNIP

> All of this leads me to a question.  When you grab your Leica (or whatever)
> and go out to take pictures for yourself, do you go in search of beauty or
> with the purpose of telling a story, righting a wrong, illuminating the
> absurdity of the human condition, or something else entirely?  Does an M
> camera lead you in one direction and medium or large format another?  It
> seems like an RNGF camera lends itself especially to art for life's sake but
> hardly exclusively.
>
> For whatever it's worth, I find shooting pastoral landscapes increasingly
> unsatisfying.  I'm much more interested in finding/telling a story.  For
> example, I've come to enjoy prowling around on construction sites on
> weekends when nobody is there.  Why was the gear left where it was?  What
> were they doing with it?  What stories do the tractors have to tell?  How
> does that bucket feel about being filled with tar all day every day?
>
> Happy new year.
>
> Kevin Hoffberg

As Keats said: "Truth is beauty, beauty is truth. That's all you know
and all you need to know."

They aren't mutually exclusive.

Carl Socolow

p.s. Happy New Year to all members of the LUG who have entertained and
enriched me this past year.
- --------------799B0CD30CC2386E46FF048C

begin:vcard
n:Socolow;Carl
tel;fax:717-975-3354
tel;work:717-763-7760
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Socolow Photography
version:2.1
email;internet:csocolow@microserve.net
note:ICQ #9562608
adr;quoted-printable:;;P.O. Box 594=0D=0A;Camp Hill;PA;17001-0594;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;17104
fn:Socolow, Carl
end:vcard

- --------------799B0CD30CC2386E46FF048C--