Subject: Re: [Leica] WTB User M2
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:29:07 -0600 (CST)

The ser # "paranoia" is no such thing.  Not everyone is as
upstanding as this group "appears" to be......send me a ser #,
I'll report it to the police as stolen and give them YOUR name,
Marc.......you try to explain to the jack-booted halfwits that
come to YOUR door that you didn't steal it.......Hope you have
a receipt from that camera show in l978.

I have once been ripped off and when my equipment was found in
a pawn shop, the cops told me I'd have to BUY it back......which
was bullshit, but they believed it....their "GUN BUDDIES" operate
the pawnshops.

Once I bought a camera when I was really young, from another
really young guy.....he stole it from a relative......the relative
came and took the camera back.  When I asked about my money,
he offered to kill me.  (was a big redneck, and wasn't joking.)

The "authorities" are rarely on your side.....yes, I'm paranoid.

BTW, these groups are available to anyone with an internet connection.
Just do a search on the search engines for "sex-duct-tape-little
boys-mom" and see what you get.....these people can and do "lurk"
all day in some cases....a little fraud and thievery, and they
 pick up a thousand dollars or so.......at least two welfare checks'
worth.....

There is NO difference between a user camera with 995xxx
and 1004xxx.......so there's no reason to even CARE about the
"whole" number.....why put yourself at risk?  The same people
almost never look at the strap lugs for looseness or the
RFDR for edge separation.....REAL, expensive problems....
who cares about the "number"?  I've had 1958 cameras in
flawless condition, and friend had a "valuable, black enamel M4,
number 1245xxx that the flange/film distance was off on.  That,
my friend, is a SERIOUS concern on an M....(sure glad those
collectors never take pictures!! :)

I am quite cavalier.  I take chances, some of them stupid, that
almost NONE of the Leica geeks would take......but I also
don't ride my bicycle in front of trains