Subject: Re: [Leica] WTB User M2
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:54:24 -0600 (CST)

Ok, Joe and others, here goes:
r.e. Serial numbers.....
I've Never had a problem with dealing with "Leica" folks
regarding ser #s....But here's the fear (and in reply to
marc small's rude reply, I didn't come up with this
scenario!)

Mostly it is a fear of dealers, but we all become "dealers" at
one time or another.....if we ever sell/trade bodies/lenses....

You, the owner, post a ser #.....I, the thief, report it as
stolen, and make up some story about you stealing it....I do a
little research, and find your address.....lets say, like a
lot of photographers, you DON't live in a "good" part of
town.....AND you wear old clothes/drive an old car......(I used
to fit all of these descriptions and had $6000 worth of
Leica, a lot in 1980!!)  I've of course told the cops that
I lost "some other stuff", including some lenses I can't remember
the "numbers" on, and send them to your house/apartment.

Now, I don't know about the cops in your town, but I DAMN sure
don't want to explain to MY cops how I have a camera with
"your" number, plus a bag of other stuff, in my apartment.
If you happen to be a dealer, it's even worse....I can go in
your store with the cop and identify MY stolen camera!!!

Do you have a receipt for that 35 summilux you bought at a
camera show in l984?   I thought not.....

There's a lot of scum lurking all day on these groups....
And NO, I'm not paranoid.....I have a fairly "cavalier" attitude
with my life and equipment....taking MANY more chances than
most of these Leica geeks would....both with equipment and
MY "body".....but why set yourself up for fraud?  You'd
probably be able to talk your way out of it, but why try?

I'd rather take my chances doing something else stupid.....

BTW, if you're offended by "Leica geek", you are one, and I
don't want to hear about it.

Cheers, and apologize for the duplication in posts, but
Mr. small pissed me off.....

Walt