Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Musings on the role of photography
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 15:58:55 -0800

Jim Brick wrote:

<<<<>I guess Ted and I should hang it up. We're both over 60, therefore all of
>the work we have done over the many years, is now NG (No Good). It cannot
>compete with current unknown photographers work. By the way... who are
>they. I'd like to see their work in the flesh. Do they give classes?>>>>>

Hi Jim,

Gee I hope they do give classes as I've got 30, well OK 20 years, actually
by official count, I have to have 27 more years to beat Izzie! He was still
shooting a bit when he passed away at 96, so man I gotta make 97! Where's
the class? :)

For the  poster who has a problem with old farts, Issie is the late great
Eisenstaedt of LIFE magazine fame, when LIFE was a magazine of famous great
photographers!

<<<I am puzzled why modern photographers revere these old names of the
distant past.  Their images for the most part are second rate when compared
to the awesome results produced by many current, known and unknown,
photographers today.>>>>>>>>

The current and unknown should be so lucky with all their whiz bang tiddly
winks auto every thing camera's to be as awesome as Eisenstaedt! Who
generally worked with one or two Leicas.  Maybe our poster should spend
some time looking at the images of the past he puts down, then maybe he can
learn why many of todays modern photographers revere the greats of the
past. Oh yeah and the modern unknowns learned from studying the work of the
past masters, they didn't come out of the womb with all the "awesomeness!"

I fear this whole discussion may well be created by one of those jerks who
would be better entertained on one of those babble gab group things,
instead of being where one can find entertaining and enlightening
conversation like we've had with Walt and Marc.:) :)

Aw shucks they're good guys, just off their feed this past few days. :) Has
something to do with the beginning of the last year of the millineum. :)

Happy New Year All!
ted

>At 12:15 PM 12/31/98 +0000, you wrote:

>>- --------------------------
>>>I am puzzled why modern photographers revere these old names of the
>>>distant past.  Their images for the most part are second rate when
>>>compared to the awesome results produced by many current, known and
>>>unknown, photographers today.
>>

>>And Alexey wrote...
>
>>What planet did *you* come from?
>>

>Boy... Ain't that the truth! What planet indeed! I have never heard such
>utter nonsense in my life. Boggles the mind!
>
>I guess Ted and I should hang it up. We're both over 60, therefore all of
>the work we have done over the many years, is now NG (No Good). It cannot
>compete with current unknown photographers work. By the way... who are
>they. I'd like to see their work in the flesh. Do they give classes?
>
>Jim

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant