Subject: Re: [Leica] nude Leica
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 13:04:11 -0700

Dan Post wrote:

> Francesco-
> I was taught a long time ago that 'Wide angle lenses are not very flattering
> because of the apparent fore-shortening of the face, anf they make the arms
> look big, especially on women, which is a no-no"
> I have always used a 90 or 135 for shooting portraits, but the few shots of
> folks that you've posted don't seem to have this distortion- is it because
> of the Leica lenses, or are you using some technique to eliminate it?
> Dan
> dwpost@msn.com

With the big exception of (like there always is) Jeanloup Sieff who is
eminent in this genre. As a matter of fact he was mentioned last week on
the forum because he is eminent with the Leica (M). I think they've
given him stuff, or put his signature on some cameras like Helmut Newton
or HCB.
I imagine when many think of nude Leicas they think of Jeanloup Sieff.
When people try to imitate him they come up with the most awkward and
unattractive results. I can speak fro direct experience. Using
ultrawides let alone wides in this genre demands extreme mastery over
ones equipment; technique; taste.
His masterful look also screams Rodinal in Tri X but I don't know this
for a fact and hope someone might because I think it is known.
Jeanloup Sieff is a master of Nude photography with the Leica
rangefinder camera and one of my favorite photographers.