Subject: Re: [Leica] SM Leicas
From: "dan states" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 11:58:21 PST

I have used a IIIf and Elmar 3.5 for years as a second camera.  They
are unsurpassed as a camera to photograph people.  Their small size
and unusual appearance is a plus when photographing strangers.  The
lack of a meter is really not an issue once you get used to estimating
exposures as with print film you will nearly always hit the mark.  I
have found that the LACK of a meter has actually sped up my shooting!
For subjects requiring maximum resolution the old lenses are certainly
not as good as most modern units, but sharpness is highly overated,
especially in "street" photography.  It would be nice to see Leica
make a camera as small as the old thread mounts....It seems instead
they are going in the other direction.

>A few months ago I got a IIIc with an uncoated Summarit lens.  I have
been
>shooting Agfapan 400 with it, guessing the exposures, and getting
great
>results.  And I'm really getting to like the IIIc itself, as well as
the
>pictures it produces.  They are sharp, but soft, at the same time.
The
>rangefinder is dead-on and I often shoot it wide open at f2 indoors
and I
>get the most wondrous soft out-of-focus areas that I have ever seen.
The