Subject: Re: [Leica] Luftwaffen Leica - Help with Identification
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 23:52:08 -0600

>A friend at work heard that I was a photographer and asked if I could
>identify and/or appraise his dad's Leica camera.  It was brought home
>from Europe after World War II.  Markings as follows:
>
>Serial # 366390
>F.L. No. 38079
>Marked Luftwaffen near eyepieces on back.
>5cm f/3.5 Elmar also marked Luftwaffen near mount area.
>Body is chrome.
>It is in original brown case.
>
>Condition is lightly used but not mint.  He is not interested in selling
>because of its sentimental value, but he would like to know if this is
>likely to be authentic and if so, what its approximate value might be.
>
>Thank you for any guidance.
>
>John Coz

The camera shows to be a IIIc built in 1940.  According to the latest
International price guide it is Rarity "R8" which is described as "Exhabition Item".
The price for a camera in EX+ condition, which sounds close to what this
is, is $4000 with the matching "Luftwaffen" Elmar Lens.

P.S. -- Does the camera just say "Luftwaffen" or does it Say "Luftwaffen Eigentum"?
Does it have this inscription only on the top plate or does it have it on the
Vulcanite "black" covering written in white letters?

Mark Hammons