Subject: Re: [Leica] Project '99 ? a picture a day!
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 11:28:46 +0100

Ted Grant wrote:
>....<snip>....
> Sure you have or you wouldn't be here. Actually you are saying you've never
> taken a picture you liked. And I find that hard to believe.. Hell man you
> are making a much to big of a thing out of this...just have some fun, shoot
> some film. :) And for a change be a little "presumptuous," good for the ego
> once in awhile. :)

Ted,

Oh, there are quite a few pictures I've done that I 'like', and a few
that have been appreciated by others (i.e. published or hanging on
another person's  wall). That does not necessarily make them meaningful.
And, yes, I shoot plenty of film, and have great fun doing that. And
more fun using Leica than anything else. The process and the results
have to my eyes great sentimental value. Still is not what I call
'meaningful'. The Salgado pics I have seen are meaningful, your web site
describing your book has meaningful images (their context and your
talent for putting the images in relation with that context make them
meaningful), Willy Ronis has produced hundreds of meaningful images and
I am confronted every day to great 'meaningful' images from anonymous or
unidentifiable origin. I am also confronted every day with a much larger
quantity of 'meaningless' disposable images, even if they are of very
high technical quality. Disposable to my eyes anyway.

My guess is that images become 'meaningful' when they interact
efficiently with information needs, social values and/or aesthetical
sensitivities relevant to individuals other than the photographer. To be
'efficient', they should take into account the historical experience of
the viewer (in other words 'bring something new').

So, Ted, I'll go on PADding with pleasure, but with very little illusion
as to the objective 'meaning' of it all. I'll try, though...

Alan.