Subject: [Leica] Proof of ownership.......
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 11:10:23 -0500

I would highly suggest that every Lug member have his equipment serial
#'s registered with his insurance agent.......  Seeing how I have
everything registered ..... I think it would be rather easy to prove
possession and ownership of the equipment.   If someone has waited 5 or
10 years to file a police report....... I'd politely suggest to the
police that they run a quick background check on the filer of the
fraudulent claim......  I

Dealers have other risks when buying stolen equipment......  Our store
policy was to purchase equipment via a mailed check using the address off
of a valid drivers license and we took down all ID info....    I used to
work with police departments and one of the things we did was call the
local department everytime we thought we had a suspicious seller.....
this had two benefits..... one we tried to reduce the risk of buying
locally stolen goods and we let the police know through our actions that
we didn't want to knowingly buy stolen goods....  Needless to say we had
a good relation with them and we helped them with a lot of photography
related questions and in turn we got a lot of business too.  Crime scene
photos make the most bloody medical work seem pretty tame......

In a case where a claim would have been filed for something that remained
in our store.....(this never happened)  we would have pulled out the file
info on the person who sold us the equipment and given that to the
detectives. We would pull the equipment off of the shelf but we would
have insisted that the police check out the seller first before turning
over the equipment unless the needed paperwork was filled out...

Back when I worked in the photo retail business,  I did manage to pay
cash for a Voightlander reflex kit that was stolen and ended up being out
$50..... of course the other real criminal was the guy who had it insured
for about 1000% of it's actual value..........

I've met a few dealers who Walt managed to describe to a T.... that
neither cared whether what they were buying was stolen or if what they
were selling was either...... and several who re-paint and replace top
covers on well worn user items and sell them as mint........  and I'm not
talking about collectible cameras destined for a shelf somewhere......

My two cents

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador