Subject: Re: [Leica] Value Added and Nazi Cameras
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 12:01:41 -0600

>I think that the efforts of many Germans saved many, many lives that would
>otherwise have been lost had not they quietly endeavored to work the system.

And that is certainly better than those who just feigned ignorance of what
was going on in the camps. Walter Cronkite talks about their reaction. They
said "We had no idea." With tears in their eyes. And he agreed, it's
possible they didn't know. But they were the ones who applauded when the
Nazis rounded up the press and clamped down on press freedom. "Get rid of
those leftists" was the cry. They sold their right to claim innocence when
they did that. They gave up their right to know. Thus they were just as
guilty as if they'd known.

At least those who resisted this way - and I believe one of Leitz's
daughters was temporarily imprisoned because she helped a Jew escape to
Switzerland - were doing something about it.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch