Subject: Re: [Leica] Luftwaffen Leica - Help with Identification
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 18:01:55 -0500

At 02:05 PM 1999-01-04 -0700, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>My first camera was a Voightlander in the Mid Fifties. There was a
>rationale that the company was or is though German, Jewish owned. (Did
>the Voightlander family survive the war?) My relatives, all Doctors
>discussed comparative microscopes over a few Scotches (for real, no tie
>in intended) and the subject of lampshades came up. I later found this
>ironic because one of them had spent the war in a Japanese Concentration
>Camp. By the mid sixty's it was all a moot point.

<sigh>  First, it is VOIGTLANDER, with or without an umlauted "A", NEVER
"Voightlander".  There is a factory press-release on this on the occasion
of their 200th birthday in 1956.  Second, the Voigtlander family were not
Jewish or, if they were, successfully concealed this from the clerics of
the Catholic Church in Vienna for more than a century.  Third, the family
survives to this day, though they sold the factory in 1926 to Schering, who
then sold it to Zeiss in 1951, who then sold it to Rollei in 1973, who then
passed on a gutted brand-name to their bankruptcy estate in '80.  Only the
name survives, alas!, as my first camera was, and still is, a Prewar Bessa,
a fine camera even today.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!