Subject: [Leica] GET THE LUG WRENCH.
From: Kent Jon Peters <KPETERS@huntel.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 17:31:21 -0800

This LUG thing gets pretty dysfunctional at times!  Where did we get the
huge ??? from.  Looking back at the original question as to whether
people collect nazi or other (?"distasteful") things--depends on your
motive entirely.  If you have a shrine of Luftwaffen copies and salute
it on your way to work, you've got a problem-- if you recognize quality
products produced by obsessive engineers, here you are.  My family had
relatives fighting on both sides of the war and I can assure you, I know
of none of our German relatives who entertain outward thoughts of
nationalism that got them into problems as a country 50 years ago.
Several million dead from both wars cures alot of the urge to fight.  I
do think there was/is a fascination with "nordic" things and hence the
"draw" that nazi symbolism fosters in (particularly) European decent
folks.  That was it's original intent-- they were masters of striking a
particular mood and cord in trying to create a "national" ferver via
repeated repeated propaganda.  I also suspect that many in the
industrial complex "struck deals" to make $ and survive the times.  Same
in this and any other country throughout history.  I have noted many
photos of the Rolliflex factory with the 'nazi' flag flying 'proudly' in
the wind in several of my books-- can't speak to the Leica factory!!
Anyway, way out there!  I'm just thankful that Wally Bayam (Airstream
magnate) was not a nazi and that I don't have to answer the
"beemer/bimmer" question!  ha!
ps. I'm a Lutheran, non-nazi, republican, Northern German/Danish
(genetic Viking? ha.) descent, white, 32 year old male working in
internal medicine.  Just so there's no misunderstandings and my cards
are on the table.  Best of luck getting back on track!!!  Hope all your
Leicas can see their all in the same system, regardless of finish or
factory programming!  kjp