Subject: [Leica] Viewfinder eye piece :(
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 08:57:39 -0800

Maybe something to check once in awhile on your M6!

I've never encountered this before on any M6, or other M camera. But the
Viewfinder eye piece came unscrewed and dropped off while I was on my "one
a-day geritol picture fix."

Gone finito and about $125.00 dollars to replace. Imagine my surprise when
I put the camera to my eye and everything was completely a great blur, more
so than usual. :) As soon as I looked at the back of the camera I realized
it was gone.

However, having only the one camera and a "nice photo op" before me I had
to do something quickly or miss it. I could kind of make out the scene in a
completely blurred fashion in the viewfinder, so not to be out done I
immediately reset the aperture to 11 or 16, looked at this blurred view to
make a correct exposure setting by changing the shutter speeds for the red
arrow heads to light.  Now appreciate even the arrows were blurred and only
appeared as light blobs, as soon as I could make out two red blobs I set
the depth of field scale to cover roughly what I figured was the area to be
in focus, looked through the viewfinder and turned the focus ring back and
forth a bit and found I could focus blobs (sort of). That done I shot a
couple of frames trusting the depth of field would cover my butt. Thank
goodness it did! :)

So even with no viewfinder eye piece sometimes with an M6 and depth of
field coverage you can come away with a usable image. Long live the M6! :)
But it's really better with all it's parts! :)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant