Subject: Re: [Leica] Non-price of 35mm f/2.0 non-asph [was: 35mm summicron asph vs 35mm summilux asph]
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 20:21:11 -0700

A couple of points re the 35 Sumicrons. First, $600-700 may be a fair price
for a lens made in 1967 because it is not the latest version of the
nonaspherical lens. This is from Erwin's page. As I said, later lenses from
the 1980's are worth nearer to $900. Also anyone considering any 35mm Leica
lens owes it to themselves to consult Erwin's page.
Finally, Mr. Garmisa (see his following post), if you have not learned the
advantage of dealing and working with top people with solid reputations,
nothing I can say will be helpful.
Sincerely,
Joe Stephenson

At 07:56 PM 1/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I am going to show my iggorance here!
>Mike- when you say '35 Summicron RF' are you referring to any Summicron for
>rangefinder Leicas, or to a particular model of M?
>I got a chrome 35 Summicron for my M3, clean and in the bubble for 650USD
>and felt like it was a good deal- lens dates from about '67 according to
>mark, but looked like new to me!
>Sounded like Phong hit it pretty much right on.
>Dan
>dwpost@msn.com

RF means that it is a lens with goggles or spectacles taht convert the 50mm
frameline into a frameline that will cover the field of view of a 35mm
lens.  The summilux, summicron, summaron 3.5 and summaron 2.8 were made in
RF versions.  They were meant for use on the M3 (it does not ahve a 35
frameline) but as I understand, will work on any of the M series bodies.
- --
Michael Garmisa <elmar@nyct.net>