Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicaflex SL
From: "Dale R. Reed" <dale-reed@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 19:52:56 -0800

>The cameras are all more than 25 years old now.  One popit to look
for when
>buying one is that the viewfinder is clean and clear.  On many, there
appears
>to be a brownish "dirty water" stain in the viewfinder.  This is a
sign that
>the prism is begining to separate and may need to be replaced -- an
expensive
>job.

Probably this is just a coincidence.  But this is a pretty good
discription of how it looks when I look through the horizontal
Viewfinder down through the ground glass into my recently purchased
Visoflex II.

I tried scrubbing the ground glass with soap and a toothbrush(after
removing the ground glass via the 4 screws from the top of the
Visoflex) and flushing it with clean water and then wiping it(I am
talking about the ground glass in the top of the Visoflex) clean.  All
of this makes a difference but it is not good enough.

What I want to know is the ground glass in the top of the Visoflex
really glass or is it a layered material that might "seperate" or
whatever?    What are ground glasses for SLR cameras made out of?
What is the "ground glass" in my old Visoflex made out of?    Thanks
for the help,    Dale
- ---
$ dale-reed@worldnet.att.net  Seattle, Washington U.S.A. $