Subject: Re: [Leica] Polar Bears - off topic but so is everything else I've seen lately
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 14:26:06 -0800

Gary wrote:

>    I'm planning on taking all of my Leica R "stuff" on a trip to Churchill
>this year.  Anyone else been there? Have any info?

Hi Gary,

I trust you don't mean "going shortly, as in time frame!"  As the only lens
you'd need is a Noctilux for the available darkness this time of the year.
Besides I believe you are better off going next fall.

As far as the 19mm and polar bears in the wilds of Churchill, you better
have a very very very very long long cable release! :) I mean these puppies
aren't the brow beaten bears of the zoo.

Your best bet is long and fast lenses with a couple of extenders. The 400
2.8 would be a starter lens and then use the 2X extender with it. Like an
800 will give you very nice tight images.  I've shot up there and I can
assure you they aren't happy campers at certain times of the year. The
other thing is, you want to be there when they aren't all dirty and grubby
looking while scavenging the Churchill town dump.

>    I'm really looking forward to it as I've shot Black and Brown Bears so now
>it is my turn to go after the "Big White Ones".>>>>>

They also are carnivores and eating humans for breakfast is one of their
pastimes! :) Kidding, but they have been known to attack human beings when
food is short, so take care up there.  Best bet! Don't be on ground level
unless you have an immediate escape location right beside you.

Personally, depending on time of year I'd go with one kind of film and save
the fooling around of other kinds for near home. This could be a one shot
trip, so it isn't the time to be messing with different kinds of film. At
max, no more than 2....slow and fast. The E200 is an excellent film and
handles push processing extremely well.

The other for me would be E100, it also handles one or two stop push well.

>By the way, I think some of you guys drink too much!!!>>>>>>>

Naw, not at all it keeps the cholesterol level down! :) Also keeps the
libido happy! :)

There is a very famous wildlife photographer living in Winnipeg, your
jumping off spot for Churchill,  his name is Robert Taylor an old buddy of
mine. Sorry I don't have his latest phone number, be he can tell you
absolutely everything about polar bears in Churchill. hell he probably has
names for them all.:)

If you can get a number for him in Winnipeg give him a call, as there isn't
anyone better versed in the whys and what fors of polar bears and seasons
to be up there. If you get him please give him regards.

Hope this helps.  But make sure you have a really long lens and fast!  Mono
pod is best, a tripod takes too long to screw around with if you need to
move quickly!  Like running very fast! :) ......or you might be a bear's
breakfast!:)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant