Subject: Re: [Leica] LEICA - M DRIVE
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:21:47 -0600 (CST)

Ted, Mark, others,
my .02:
The original, M4-2, single frame winder (14214) was the quietest.
It did NOT make the shutter button "clunk" up after release...in
fact, it waited for you to release the button before winding on....
It operates via a "pin" in the bottom of M4-2 and MOST but not
all M4-P bodies...I have heard.   I don't know if the M6 has the
"pin" to operate...I don't have one at this time to look, and I don't
remember whether it did or not.  I'll check up on it, tho...
I owned two of these winders, and they were quiet and didn't sound
like they were "tearing up" the body.....I also owned an M6 compatible
one... it may be the one just prior to the current one....it was
noisy, clunked like hell, and felt "bad" on both M6 and my M4-2.
(it was compatible with the M4-2 and I think the M4-p, but I sold
the M6 winder before I got the -P model....)
If you want an electric winder (I don't), and if it'll work on
your camera, might try one of the old ones...they're quiet and
only about $125 mint/used.....with the caveat that they don'd
"do" continuous...but with practice will get you 2-1/2 frames/sec.

Cheers,
Walt

On
Fri,