Subject: Re: [Leica] Fun times coming up....again...
From: "Dale R. Reed" <dale-reed@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 22:38:38 -0800

>Is it a Dually?

No Dan its a HD 3/4 ton. Actually I had to have the spring installers
add a couple-three leafs all around to level it after I installed the
too-heavy winch bumper and winch on the front. Raised the truck a
little bit and rides better than new now.

Nice truck with a real Rams head on the front instead of those wimpy
little emblems they put on the new Dodges. Have the normal broadcast
antenna and CB and 2 meter antennas on the front and a matching(all
gray) about_one_foot_higher_than_the_cab aluminum canopy that covers
all my toys(mountain bike, cameras, snowshoes, cross country skis,
etc.) and bed and chow, etc. keeping it all safe and dry and a warm
place to read, cook and sleep in the when on expedition.  Boat rack on
the top for my Kevlar canoe and/or my bright red Mariner touring
kayak.

Cruises at 70mph getting 20mpg.  150,000 miles and does not use any
oil. I bought it used with 13,000miles on the odometer showing some
abuse but now I have replaced(Chrysler paid for it) the 5 speed
transmission, balanced the drive lines finally found a mechanic that
could fix the leaking rear axle seals, reground the head because of a
little leak, and religiously add Performance Plus to the fuel to clean
the injectors.  New clutch, new brakes.  Even had a little custom work
done on the steering so it steers considerably better than the
el-cheapo factory steering did.

Of course you have to keep toweling water up off the floorboards(under
the rubber mat) because of the infamous Dodge truck cab leak(I had a
1969 slant-six 4x4 Dodge before this one and its floor boards were all
rusted out so you could see the ground if you looked down between your
legs while driving).

Drives like a dream. Especially when creeping up very rough steep
roads because of all that low end diesel torque and the very low range
4x4 transfer case.

It is a keeper just like Katy and my Leicas.  Dale
- ---
$ dale-reed@worldnet.att.net Seattle, Washington U.S.A. $